Friday, March 19, 2010

The One About Taking Control...

strug·gle
v. strug·gled, strug·gling, strug·gles
1. To exert muscular energy, as against a material force or mass.
2. To be strenuously engaged with a problem, task, or undertaking.
3. To make a strenuous effort; strive: struggled to be polite.
4. To contend or compete.
5. To progress with difficulty.

I have STRUGGLED writing this week's blog. Not sure if it's a result of the crappy weather or that I've been insanely busy with work and neglected my other responsibilities. I almost posted a blog about feeling uninspired and totally overwhelmed at the same time. Does that make sense? Instead, I decided that the 26-year old 2010 version of me wasn't going to cry over spoiled milk. Instead, I'm making cheese! (haha... lame, I know!) Despite my distaste for Salt Lake City and it's lack of anything really fun, I researched 5 amazingly fun things that I can do here in the valley.

And now you might be asking, "Pray tell, what more does SLC have to offer that I don't already know?"

Well... creatively-challenged friend, my (5) answers are below:

1) Trappist Monastery Retreat - Located about 20 minutes north of Salt Lake City are monks maintaining over 4000 years of Roman Catholic teachings. More interesting are the retreats held at the Monastery from which retreatants can fast, reflect and participate in chants without a planner, cell phone or computer. Think Karate Kid meets the Real World. And could you see me chanting with Monks??? Cost: FREE!

2) Sweet Candy Factory Tour - As a devoted Willy Wonka fan (although not so much of the oompah loompahs), what could be better than a 45-minute tour of the Sweet Candy Factory? Free candy samples included. Hopefully I don't turn into a giant blueberry... Cost: FREE!

3) Gay Bingo - Alright, I am open-minded and comfortable enough to try this out. And bingo is one of my favorite gambling games... Referred by my cousin Ui, Gay Bingo occurs every third friday and hosted by over-the-top drag queens Ruby Ridge and Friends. Probably the most un-SLC activity here. Plus, imagine me competing again someone named Ruby Ridge... Cost: $5

4) Utah Olympic Oval - Eight years after hosting the 2002 Winter Olympics, the Oval is home to indoor skating/hocking/soccer. But more importantly, it has crazy extreme rides compensating for the lack of rollercoasters. I'm planning on riding the world's steepest zipline and 80 MPH bobsled (reminiscent of Cool Runnings!) Cost: $150

5) MUSS - Since there isn't a professional sports team in SLC, joining the University of Utah's football student section (ranked top 10 by ESPN) is the best way to enjoy football while cheering for the home team. And I get to heckle BYU? Sign me up! Now to find a U student willing to let me use their ID... Cost: $30

Considering how fun it was researching these events, SLC definitely seems more hip. Hit me up if you're interested in joining in. I intend to complete all 5 this year so that my frown stays upside down. Now's who STRUGGLING? Not I. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. How fun!! Make sure you post pics and share your adventures with those of us unfortunate enough to NOT live in SLC...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, isn't the Utah Jazz a professional sports team?

    ReplyDelete
  3. not this year cause they suck. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea some of these existed! I'm totally down for 2 and 3...I think I'm excited more about 3 than 2. :D Yes, please post pics!

    ReplyDelete